Thursday, March 1, 2012

Grace & Other Unintended Lessons

Well, clearly my intention of doing a daily blog post for Lent has not happened! But what a good way to be reminded of what a gift it is to receive grace. This is a new benefit to practicing Lenten Disciplines that I had't really thought about before -- that when we aren't quite as disciplined as we meant to be, that we are reminded anew of God's mercy and forgiveness -- which we can never earn anyways through our own actions.

I don't think God really cares one way or the other whether I type out my thoughts every day -- what matters to God (in my humble opinion, anyways) is that I make the effort to live out my faith in meaningful ways (through prayer, writing, worship, acts of compassion, practicing spiritual disciplines, etc....).

God also doesn't really care that I have also given up meat for Lent...because faith is not about being deprived or suffering. In fact, I didn't give up seafood, so it turns out that I've actually been eating BETTER than usual - lots more shrimp, salmon, etc. than my usual diet. But, every time I go to order from a restaurant menu or plan what to cook for dinner, I do pause and remember that my options are slightly different from usual; several extra times a day I remember that it is the season of Lent, and I think about God just a little bit more often because I am eating differently. So, while going semi-vegetarian is not the deprevation I might have intended at first, it has still drawn me a little bit closer to God.

It makes me smile to think that God has a well-tuned sense of humor, and likes to throw surprises at us. Just when we think we are going to do something holy and righteous, God gives us a good laugh at ourselves to keep us humble and looking to God for wisdom. Just when we think that we are going to impress God with our discipline and good works, God impresses us with grace and love we do not deserve.

No comments: