Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Post-Easter Challenge

I had great ambitions for lent this year. Since I was on sabbatical, I thought I’d have time to really devote to keeping some meaningful spiritual practices for those six weeks. But, like most great plans, things didn’t go like I’d intended. For most of that time, I was traveling and had a totally inconsistent schedule. I wasn’t regularly involved in one church community, so it didn’t even feel much like lent. Easter (which also happened to be the end of my sabbatical) snuck up on me much too quickly. So, when I realized that I’d totally missed out on the practice of keeping a discipline for six weeks, I started thinking about what I might take on for the weeks AFTER Easter instead -- some new tradition of focusing on the time between Easter and Pentecost. Because yes, I’m a church nerd. And I really like the way that taking on a lenten discipline challenges me to try something new.

But the time after Easter has a different feel to it than the more serious, wintery feel of the weeks following Ash Wednesday. For starters, it’s spring – the azaleas in my yard are blooming, the sun is out, and people are practically begging you to help them eat all that leftover chocolate. It doesn’t feel like a time to give up the things you love, or to focus on abstinence and quiet reflection. It feels like a time to celebrate new life, to rejoice and give thanks and notice the good things happening all around you. To breathe deep and smell the budding flowers (but not too deep because the pollen count is sky high!). I couldn’t help but be filled with joy my first day back at church. Yes, I admit I was a little sad to be giving up the freedom of sabbatical, but I returned to TEN people getting baptized at St. Paul’s. Ten beautifully diverse people, from third and fourth-generation members of the church (whose great-grandparents were probably responsible for getting the baptistery built) to first-generation Christians and first-generation Americans, who fled their home country as refugees because they didn’t have the freedom to worship there. It was a little piece of the kingdom of God, and it reminded me of how very much I love this church.

So, it feels much more appropriate to take on a practice of joy for the 50 days from Easter to Pentecost. I challenge you to this new practice, too – figure out something that makes you more aware of what a joy it is to be alive, something that makes you feel like your heart is overflowing with gratitude (or something that at least helps you cultivate a feeling of gratitude, even if you’re not in a great place right now). Something that focuses your attention on what you love. I’m listing a few suggestions below to get you started. Pick one (or come up with your own) to do each day, or try a different one every day! It’s a new tradition, so there are no set rules to feel like you have to follow! And remember to have grace with yourself if you don’t stick to it religiously – after all, isn’t grace the whole point of that Easter thing we just celebrated?

ÿ  Journal 3 things you’re thankful for from that day, each night before you go to bed

ÿ  Start each day with a dance party to your favorite songs, and give thanks for your body and how it moves

ÿ  Put your favorite cd’s (or playlist) on in the car, and every time you listen, celebrate the gifts of creativity and music that inspire us

ÿ  Eat a small piece of chocolate (or your favorite fruit) after lunch every day, and really savor it and rejoice in our sense of taste and the bounty of the earth

ÿ  Write  short note or text every day to someone who makes you happy and tell them why you’re grateful for them

ÿ  Sing in the shower. Loudly. Make up songs about what brings you joy.

ÿ  Get a blank art canvas and paint (or just a big piece of paper and markers) and add something new to your picture each day

ÿ  Take a photo each day of something that makes you happy and share it on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter

ÿ  Go for a walk each evening. Watch the sunset if you can. Really notice the beauty around you.

ÿ  Get a good-smelling candle. Each day when you get home, light it and give yourself permission to just sit still and breathe deeply for 10 minutes. Just be, without thinking about all the things you need to do. Give thanks that you exist.

ÿ  Get a post-it note pad. Every day write one thing you like about yourself on a post-it, and stick it on your mirror where you’ll see it when you get up the next day. Celebrate the unique and wonderful person you were created to be.

Feel free to comment and add your own ideas, too!

No comments: